Good morning sessions. Interesting being one of two high school teachers in this present process. Between the two of us we represent the 2:3 high schools and the science and social studies departments, which is the focus of this particular professional development. We have been given a fair amount of material to consider and I have begun the process of seeing where I want to venture down the road of 21st Century learning skills.
I think the "long march" of educational professional development and reform - to make sure I am not neglecting the political dialogue of the day - is truly not a sojourn of destination but more experience. To lean on my collection of bumper sticker philosophy, "all those who wander are not lost" or perhaps Emerson's notion that "life is a journey not a destination" is the better sound bite.
Having offered the pop approach to how we have begun this process, I will say I have stifled moans over educational cliches of "sage stages" and "guide sides". But we have started wrestling with the idea of a continuum between traditional classrooms and those that are of the 21st Century as a measure of where we view ourselves as individuals in the profession. The concern of there being a particular weight of right and wrong on this spectrum was brought up and briefly addressed. It was referenced not a question of right and wrong but rather a graphing of the types of skills we apply in the classroom to reach a diversity of learning styles. I think then that the continuum model then is not the best frame of reference. Instead it is simply a data points chart showing the diversity of approaches we employ and have available to us.
At the end of this morning the best results are the developing pages of notes I have for modifications and polishing to my own work - so the short answer to the day's quest of is it worth it, is yes. Off to a good start, it is certainly inspiring in the inception and will best be measured in how well I can apply the ideas now playing in my head and in cyberspace.
No comments:
Post a Comment